ERAP – Frequently Asked Questions

ERAP – Frequently Asked Questions

Community Progress Council realizes that there is a lot of information to learn about the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP), and that you may have questions about the application process – if you qualify, the types of information we need, and how your information will be processed by our team.


Below is a list of answers to some questions you may have about the program. If you have questions along the way, or before you begin, CPC encourages you to work with a collaborator or a partnering agency. A full list of local nonprofit organizations ready to assist you is available here.

York County's Emergency Rental Assistance Program

Frequently Asked Questions

What income is counted toward the household income?

Income from employment, self-employment, Social Security (adults only), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability (SSD), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Pension, alimony, Child Support Received, Unemployment Compensation (does not include PUA), Interest from Bank Accounts and Cash Funds, Rental property income, or other sources not listed.

What household members should list their income?

Anyone over the age of 18, regardless of whether they contribute to the rent, must provide their income information so we can accurately calculate the Area Median Income (AMI).

What type of housing does this program cover?

This program can cover the rent for houses, apartments, lot rent for a mobile home, and if there is a lease, motel/hotels.

Can someone receiving a rent subsidy apply for this program?

Yes, however, this program can only pay for the applicant’s portion of the rent. We cannot pay on an amount that is already covered by another program.

If someone is not behind on their rent, can they still apply?

If someone is not behind on their rent currently but anticipate falling behind due to economic impact from COVID-19, then they can apply for all the months they anticipate needing assistance. All forward payments will be made in 3 month increments and if the tenant needs more assistance, they must recertify they are still in need.

If a person received assistance through the Rent Relief Program (RRP) in 2020, can they still apply for this program?

Yes. A person may apply for this program as long as they are not applying for the same months they were assisted with by RRP. For example, if a person was assisted with November 2020 and December 2020 through RRP, this program cannot assist with those months.

Do you need an email to apply?

Yes, both the tenant and the landlord will need an email. The system that we use creates an account and will send status updates to your email. If you do not have an email, please create one prior to applying. You will also want to get the landlord/property manager’s email prior to starting the application.

Does an application have to be completed in one sitting?

No. The way the application website is set up, it allows an applicant to save and exit, and then return to the place they left off.

Who should be included on the application?

If someone is listed in the lease, they should be listed in the application. You should also include children who are permanent residents of the household even if they are not on the lease. If you are renting with a roommate, they also need to be included on the application. Unrelated roommates living together will be considered as separate households for income calculation purposes.

How will a landlord know their tenant has applied?

In the tenant’s portion of the application, there is a place to add a “recommender”. This is where the landlord information should be submitted. Once the tenant submits the application, the landlord will automatically be sent an email stating which tenant is applying and instructions for the landlord to complete their portion of the application.

What does it mean that the applicant self-certifies their income and certifies the information?

Self-certification means that someone is promising that the income they are claiming is accurate. They must self-certify income because they do not need to provide documentation at the time of application. When completing the application, the applicant must sign that they provided the most accurate information and understand that if it is false, it is considered fraud. They must also agree to provide documentation to verify the information they include in the application if requested.

What documentation does the applicant need to provide?

The tenant will need to provide a Photo ID, Proof of Residency, and Utility Bills if applying for utility assistance. If the Photo ID shows the current address of the tenant, they do not need to provide additional documentation for proof of residency. A landlord will need to provide the lease, rental delinquency verification, W-9, and ACH form for direct deposit.

How will a landlord or tenant find out the status of the application?

An email will be sent to both the tenant and landlord at each step of the review process and when the payment is made. They may also log into their account to see their status. Community Progress Council will not be answer phone calls or emails regarding status updates.

What is a collaborator?

A collaborator is someone that can assist the tenant in their portion of the application. They should not complete the application for the tenant. The collaborator will have access to edit or view the application and can help the applicant check the status of the application. The applicant must fill the collaborator information out first before starting the application as they will not be able to return to that section without erasing their application.